Mind Control Comics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:12:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hidden Knowledge #21  (Read 14590 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: December 24, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »

Daffyd has some unusual requirements for new employees…

Written by: Daphne • Art and Lettering: PortalComic

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
Dr. White
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 08:37:03 pm »

What 'new employees'?

(I'm actually quite eager to see the new book store)

Everything is about sex except sex. Sex is about power. - Oscar Wilde
macavity
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Macavity

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 08:36:18 am »

What 'new employees'?

Perhaps he needs to recruit more staff to desl with a greatly enlarged section 613.96 in his bookstore.

Very happy to see a new episode (definitely one of my favourite comics) but less happy that I might have to seriously think about tackling the latest cipher variant (at least, I hope it's a cipher, if it's turned into a code then I give up now!) especially since I'm far from convinced that anyone has succeeded.

GB
ozymandias
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Llama llama duck

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:20:08 am »

I really like the new issue. I felt like the series was drifting for awhile, but it looks like a story is gathering steam, though it's not clear what's going on yet.

One thing that's become clear to me over the years is that comic serial art is really hard form. You need to tell a one-issue (or at most, two-issue) story, so each issue has something to resolve. Then you have to run a set of longer stories in parallel with different paces so there's some dramatic tension in every issue, and you need a long arc so that you don't hem yourself in in any one story. In a series that comes out monthly, all that's hard enough, but when a new issue only comes out now and then, the emphasis has to be on the shorter stories at the expense of the longer ones, or the audience loses touch.

THK has been one of my favorites on this site, though I have to wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to finish it and move on. Con'fused was fine work, in part because it ended. All the little plots worked, and the references were excellent and fun, but it ended before it could either become repetitious and boring (to me, ok--all this is "to me") or just tensionless (which is where THK and SJI were for awhile--yes, our hero MC'd and fucked someone. again).
Dr. White
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 11:42:46 am »

I do want more!

More of the same as well as additional stuff, the plot seems to be moving forward again which did seem a bit stalled.

It was good to see the book manifesting again.  Grin

I was upset when this issue ended but I think it's good storytelling to leave the audience hungry.

(eleven months is too long to wait)  Shocked

hereno
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 12:35:48 pm »

I do feel like THK is probably entering its endgame. Daffyd's on track to become the new Clovis, though that may be a feint. But I like Daffyd taking charge more. Good issue.
Dr. White
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 01:56:42 pm »

I'm also a bit chagrined that, yet again, I cannot make sense of the magic words... Embarrassed Sad Angry

grimtidings
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

Lurker

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:55:31 pm »

I'm also a bit chagrined that, yet again, I cannot make sense of the magic words... Embarrassed Sad Angry

Hopefully that's because you (we) are not the target audience. How terrifying would it be if you could comprehend those glyphs? It would be the end of your existence as a rational, independent being.

For myself, I find that I wanted to overhear the conversation between pages 4 and 5 and was sad to see it skipped as a suspense-building device in favor of more paper dolls roaming about and another recruitment.

If you love something, analyze it and share.
hereno
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 04:49:11 pm »

Hopefully that's because you (we) are not the target audience. How terrifying would it be if you could comprehend those glyphs?

Not sure if this was meant to be a joke, but those glyphs were readable for the first 18 issues or so. It's only recently that the cypher shifted to something we haven't figured out yet.
Haight
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 01:58:41 am »

THK has been one of my favorites on this site, though I have to wonder if it wouldn't be smarter to finish it and move on. Con'fused was fine work, in part because it ended. All the little plots worked, and the references were excellent and fun, but it ended before it could either become repetitious and boring (to me, ok--all this is "to me") or just tensionless (which is where THK and SJI were for awhile--yes, our hero MC'd and fucked someone. again).

Sure, but too much tension and the story's about that tension/plot instead of the erotic bent to it. There's a lot more to resolve in this story - though I have a sneaking suspicion it ends tragically (the end of L4yer Cak3 comes to mind). Like what's up with Daffyd's girl who he was with prior to the start of the series? What's up with the book itself?

Honestly, this is my favorite series on the site, especially since Beyond Rubies got weird and then went on a seemingly indefinite hiatus.

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
Dr. White
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:58 am »

Like what's up with Daffyd's girl who he was with prior to the start of the series?

I like that Annie has dropped out of the story completely.
I was kind of disappointed that Heidi showed up again. I liked the idea that Dafyyd was using her in every way and dropped her as soon as she wasn't useful. It made his transition to actual villain more clear.

What's up with the book itself?

Yeah, I want more answers here than I do in the political/gangster plot.

Not to say I'm not interested in that stuff too, I hope we're seeing the beginnings of Dafyyd getting involved more directly in that stuff.

(can't be a crime lord if you don't do crime) Grin

hereno
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 11:45:25 am »

I like that Annie has dropped out of the story completely.

I totally forgot about Annie. I sort of do like that: like his goals have shifted from where they started. Although this issue was about the book/golden figure reminding Daffyd of one of those original goals.

I guess this is as good an excuse as any to talk about what makes THK distinct for me: Daffyd treats every woman differently. Nearly all MC fiction has the controller stamp the same template on all his subjects, whether that's 'mindless slave' or 'now-poly girlfriend' or whatever. In THK (and I guess By the Book and Chrysalis), he really comes up with a different idea for each woman. Janice is basically still herself, but opened her marriage just to be with him; Bethany is sorta-kinda submissive towards him, but still has a lot of her personality; Kayleigh is very subby towards him; Marlissa and Lela are full slaves.

Tari, as the book/gold figure points out, is basically just a friend with benefits towards him. Her/its question to him: is that what he wants? Or does he want a more devoted harem? Makes sense to me! We'll see where Daffyd goes with it, but it's an interesting way to turn the "different control for every woman" style and turn it into a plot point.
Dr. White
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 09:06:16 pm »

My main (only?) complaint about this series is that the encryption for the magic words keeps getting changed.  Angry

It is so much better when I can read the actual commands Daffyd is putting out.  Wink

macavity
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Macavity

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 09:02:47 am »

Hopefully that's because you (we) are not the target audience. How terrifying would it be if you could comprehend those glyphs? It would be the end of your existence as a rational, independent being.

I guess only females need worry, going by the title of the book...

GB
macavity
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Macavity

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:11 am »

Hopefully that's because you (we) are not the target audience. How terrifying would it be if you could comprehend those glyphs?

Not sure if this was meant to be a joke, but those glyphs were readable for the first 18 issues or so. It's only recently that the cypher shifted to something we haven't figured out yet.
But there is porgress...maybe....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-48284012

GB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: