Mind Control Comics Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:11:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary #1379: “Clearing It All Up”  (Read 309 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: April 10, 2024, 12:25:56 pm »

Script: Daphne • Line Art: Plutonian Knight • Colors and Lettering: Octavia Moon

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 01:37:12 pm »

Hopefully this will clear things up.
lancehunter
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 04:09:58 pm »

I feel as though this issue's title is speaking directly to those of us on the forum.
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 06:48:52 am »

Perhaps she's watching the final episode of Lost.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 09:13:03 am »

Ok, I have another theory: it's an echo of Zenon.

We have evidence that the Watch is capable of implanting personality fragments or echos into the minds of those it is used on.  In #878, Zenon says "The Watch's patterns are a part of me now", before he uses them on Erin to try to take control of her.  Suppose this implanted an echo of Zenon into Erin's mind, and that it's still there even after her liberation from his direct control in #924.  The final panel of #928 strongly implies that something is still wrong with Erin, although we haven't seen any obvious effects since then.  But there may be an echo of Zenon inside Erin, perhaps suppressed or too weak to control her directly, biding its time.

Then Miriam comes along, sucks Erin's soul into herself and sets up a dream sequence empowered to brainwash her.  If these sequences are partially generated by the subconscious of the victim, as the mermaid theme of Amaltheia's sequence suggests, that would give the Zenon echo a chance to influence the nature of Erin's sequence.  The echo inserted itself into the dream in the role of "the doctor" and leveraged Miriam's power to take control of Erin.  Now it is leveraging that power to pull Miriam herself into the dream in an attempt to take control of her as well.
Sharque
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 10:44:27 am »

Ok, I have another theory: it's an echo of Zenon.

We have evidence that the Watch is capable of implanting personality fragments or echos into the minds of those it is used on.  In #878, Zenon says "The Watch's patterns are a part of me now", before he uses them on Erin to try to take control of her.  Suppose this implanted an echo of Zenon into Erin's mind, and that it's still there even after her liberation from his direct control in #924.  The final panel of #928 strongly implies that something is still wrong with Erin, although we haven't seen any obvious effects since then.  But there may be an echo of Zenon inside Erin, perhaps suppressed or too weak to control her directly, biding its time.

Then Miriam comes along, sucks Erin's soul into herself and sets up a dream sequence empowered to brainwash her.  If these sequences are partially generated by the subconscious of the victim, as the mermaid theme of Amaltheia's sequence suggests, that would give the Zenon echo a chance to influence the nature of Erin's sequence.  The echo inserted itself into the dream in the role of "the doctor" and leveraged Miriam's power to take control of Erin.  Now it is leveraging that power to pull Miriam herself into the dream in an attempt to take control of her as well.

That… actually makes quite a lot of sense, especially in tandem with something else I noticed earlier in this mess.

One thing I like about Mallory’s reprogramming is that it seems to be a direct inverse of what happens to her when she and Erin get caught by Zenon. Zenon, likely echoing Jakob in whatever strange way he is, is the one who turns Mallory into the wind-up fuckdoll, the “tits and holes.” Yes, Zenon gets defeated, but the Watch programming doesn’t just vanish. You can even see hints of this in 995 “Something Lingers” with Kanti, who seemed to have some residual effects from her time in the cloud.

Smash cut to Mallory immediately post-Zenon:

Adrian: are you okay?

Mallory: that is a more complex question than I can answer right now.

And later on, in 937:

Adrian: you’re sure you’re okay for now?

Mallory: yes, please help Dani.

It’s clear that Mallory has lingering trauma from what happened to her in the cloud, that whatever adjustments Zenon made to her Watch programming have aftershocks. Thus, when Jakob in her mind leans into the “tits and holes” talk and belittling her intelligence (Zenon: you’re only good for one thing… and you don’t need a brain for that), it follows that the new Watch is being used to purge the lingering effects of Zenon as well as Jakob.

The problem is, Erin has yet to be exposed to the new Watch. Everything in her mind, all the way back from the original Night of the Watch, is still there, and is now being tweaked by Miriam. Thus, whereas before her soul and her mind may have been able to suppress the influence Zenon left on her, now that they are divorced and Miriam is forcefully dunking her head under the water, Erin may be instinctively grabbing out to drag Miriam down with her.

Gosh, thinking about this, it seems so plausible and follows so well that now I’ll almost be upset if this doesn’t end up being the case.

Edit: Adding this as an unrelated(?) note, but the hypertext for 928 reads ‘you’re the one who’s crazy’
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 10:52:16 am by Sharque » Logged
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 05:59:07 am »

For a page so closely modelled on Erin's, it's hard to explain why I like this so much. I'm particularly fond of the "tits and holes" shot, which was sadly devoid of the tits and minus one hole in Erin's version. Is it significant that Erin's doctor wore gloves, whereas Miriam's does not? Erin's environment seemed to lean more to the surgical, while Miriam's leans more to the psychological (or perhaps even mental). Hopefully we'll get to see her mantra next, which might give us a clearer idea of where this is going.

I was sure Zenon got raised when Erin's processing started, and that someone said something along the lines that what the doctor was saying to Erin echoed what Zenon had said to her in The Cloud. But I can't find whatever comment that was. I don't think the second bit's true anyway, but finding fault with a comment I may have imagined is probably a sign of madness.

Anyway, I think the Zenon theory is neat, but I would want to know exactly how Zenon got into Miriam's mind. As that all comes down to the question of where the dreams are playing out, and of what a soul is, there's little point in trying to build any kind of case against it.

But from a plot point of view, I still don't see a reason to believe that anything that has happened at Jacqui's this evening has yet deviated from someone's plan. It seems clear that Miriam did not have prior knowledge of this bit of the plan. But I don't think any of us has ever really thought that the originator of this plan was Miriam.

Something triggered Miriam's soul-sucking, be it Adrian having sex with her, or Adrian claiming ownership of her, or her vision of Judith on the library stairs, or the new perfume, or some combination of these. Soul-sucking probably isn't something you can learn from books; Miriam was probably born whatever she is. But she wasn't soul-sucking yesterday, and I'm guessing that now she won't be soul-sucking tomorrow. To me it just makes more sense that what is happening now is what was meant to happen. She has served her purpose and now she's being cleared away.

Which is not to say I think the Zenon theory can't be right.

But, hey, that's clearly Chuck of C&J Aviation moving the TV screen anyway...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: