Mind Control Comics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:03:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wilmot College Store  (Read 46293 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: July 05, 2012, 03:37:31 am »

To celebrate over two years of MCC, and coming up on the 100th anniversary of Saint James Infirmary, we have opened up the Wilmot College Store!

[temporarily closed while we switch providers!]

You can demonstrate your school spirit in a complete safe-for-work way; there's no Mind Control Comics branding or URLs on them. You just have to know. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 07:47:13 am by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:10:46 am »

So, what's the story behind the logo.  Looks like a rearing unicorn and a red cricket across from one another standing over an urn.  Interesting.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:18 am »

The Wilmot College arms are:

A black shield, with a white bar, on which three red scallops (sable, on a fess argent three escallops gules). The supporters are a unicorn and a red praying mantis, standing on a green mountain. The motto below is "Letalior quam mas femina."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 07:49:28 am by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »

*headslap*  Can't believe I thought the shield was an urn.  I honestly thought that all praying mantis species were green.  Also, I was only an amateur orthographer as a tiny tyke and, thus, didn't make a serious study of Latin.  Would you mind providing a translation of the motto? Grin
Tony
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »

Both my translators are having a problem with the first word. (Ie: I'm getting no translation for that word!)

The rest is "male than female".

So something male than female. Seems odd for a college motto. Wink
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:50:26 am »

Automatic translation from Latin can be pretty bad. Smiley

I'll leave it as a topic for speculation, except to say that there is a Kipling connection.

rreader3
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

random reader

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:07 pm »

"Letalior" would be "more deadly" (comparative of adjective "letalis"), so the intended reference is obvious.
Werdna
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Gin-soaked dandy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:30 pm »

Quite apart from the motto, which I think I understand, what does a praying mantis mean as heraldic symbol? 

(My own take is that it refers to the various strong women in the college's history who were (figuratively) man-eaters, since it was a women's college until relatively recently.)
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »

I was more curious about the color, since most pictures of mantis species I've seen are green and they don't have chameleon properties as far as I know.
elbenton
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

Insert clever phrase or quotation here.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:24:38 pm »

And now for something completely different... The sequence of the T-shirt reviews on Zazzle's website is unfortunate, with the first couple of visible one being bad reviews.  The statistics (also listed before the reviews) show only 55 1-star reviews versus 459 5-star reviews, a 12% ratio of bad-to-good.  The problem with user reviews is that usually it's the generic malcontents or the axe-grinders tend to take the trouble to post bad reviews.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:32:25 pm »

I'm not sure what reviewing a t-shirt on Zazzle really means... what t-shirt are they talking about, anyway?

It reminds me of the one-start Yelp review of a restaurant, given because it was located across the street from the park at which the reviewer's boyfriend dumped her.

elbenton
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

Insert clever phrase or quotation here.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02:28 am »

Generally, I think the bad reviews were for things like shrinking, sized too small, too-lightweight material, didn't feel like cotton - crap like that.  Nothing really to do with any particular design.
Vidor
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 06:58:15 pm »

Please tell me this story will not end with one of the girls biting Adrian's head off.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:04:10 pm »

Please tell me this story will not end with one of the girls biting Adrian's head off.

No spoilers!

jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:10:36 am »

I thought there was an undercurrent of scholarship and critique that posited that most species of mantis don't behave that way and that the emphasis on that particular trait was meant...oh, bother.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: