Mind Control Comics Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:43:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Inheritance #8  (Read 6258 times)
janxspirit
Subscriber
One Star Sneetch

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 10:01:31 pm »

I think this is my favorite active story, so I'm always happy to see a new issue.
Leonardo Reign
Browser
One Star Sneetch

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2023, 05:41:11 am »

Hello, new subscriber here.

I sometimes have very mixed feelings about what seems to be my erotic mind control fetish. Much as I find the scenarios enticing to fantasize about, I tend to get put off by the inherent evil of what these scenarios actually represent. You know, just as you might fantasize about pulling a gun on someone who cuts you off in rush hour traffic, you can’t get over the fact that that makes you psycho. At least I can’t.

I have kind of the same issue with a lot of the material I’ve found that deals with this fetish. One might want to fantasize about being the main character in that story, having those powers, having those women…but then you would have to imagine yourself as being that guy, which for me is a boner-killer. I would think, would hope, that anyone who’s seen the first season of Marvel’s Jessica Jones knows what I’m talking about.

The point I’m taking too long to get to is that I’m particularly enjoying The Inheritance. Stephen Haines didn’t create his current situation and the sex scenes are constructed to present him as discovering it rather than ruthlessly, selfishly exploiting it. He does not treat these women as chattel, which is the main problem I have with most mind control story main characters like Killgrave. And, evidently, Stephen’s father.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, and hope this positive element isn’t lost along the way. How often does this particular book update, may I ask? From the forum posts I see that this most recent issue just came out, but the series started in…2016?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 05:44:32 am by Leonardo Reign » Logged
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 12:37:20 am »

The point I’m taking too long to get to is that I’m particularly enjoying The Inheritance. Stephen Haines didn’t create his current situation and the sex scenes are constructed to present him as discovering it rather than ruthlessly, selfishly exploiting it. He does not treat these women as chattel, which is the main problem I have with most mind control story main characters like Killgrave. And, evidently, Stephen’s father.

That's exactly what I've grown to not like about it. He's still exploiting it. If he thought mind control was wrong he wouldn't have sex with these women; instead it's written in a way to make him avoid responsibility while still enjoying the benefits. He's still "that guy," if that guy is someone who has sex with women who have been irresistibly compelled to do so.

The number of guys who lucksack their way into a mind-controlled harem that didn't create, and who maintain their moral incorruptibility by being pursued by mind-controlled women and not engaging in mind control themselves, is becoming toxic to the genre, here and elsewhere. It very much dovetails into sex-negativity around male sexuality in our society, to where not only is it some guys' kink to be pursued by women in a way that flips the traditional script around, but it's portrayed as morally wrong to be a male pursuer (or mind controller); the only moral male sexuality is the passive one, whereas women can be active without committing a moral sin. Hell, there's mind control stories on this site where men mind controlling women is portrayed as horrific but women mind controlling women is portrayed as sexy fun.

The art style is great but the vibe of mind control in this story has become anti-erotic for me; I find stuff that portrays male sexuality as something that has to be bottled up *or else* kills my vibe.

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
Leonardo Reign
Browser
One Star Sneetch

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2023, 06:22:07 am »

He's still "that guy," if that guy is someone who has sex with women who have been irresistibly compelled to do so.

You’re not wrong, but that’s an inherent aspect of the very concept of mind control fantasies, isn’t it? Emphasis on “fantasy.” We the readers identify with the mind controller because we can’t conceive of getting great sex through our looks or charm. Some of us just want to be able to identify with the kind of character we’d like to see ourselves as. If your kink is to be the “male pursuer,” fine. Others of us like the idea - which, again, we know must not exist outside fantasy - of being able to make woman want to pursue us.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 06:35:35 am by Leonardo Reign » Logged
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2023, 07:33:52 am »

It very much dovetails into sex-negativity around male sexuality in our society

Dude, if you think that "The inheritance" shows male sexuality in negative way but (say) "The Hidden Knowledge" doesn't, I really don't know what to say to you.

At this point, Haight, I really have to ask: Why do you subscribe? It seems like a lot of money to spend to be disappointed (and apparently now offended) every week.

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
onyxghoul
Subscriber
One Star Sneetch

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2023, 09:22:15 am »

Seeing this discussion/disagreement made me reflect a bit on the kink. As I see it, there are two attractive elements to MC: devotion and domination. I think SJI has two characters that exemplifies the dissonance between the two: Adrian represents devotion while Jakob represents dominance. I'm much more attracted to the former, and I don't really see appeal when the women are turned into mindless bimbos. I like the direction this story goes.

Hidden Knowledge is an interesting one, as I feel like it sort of straddles both. It seems to be headed in the domination direction, but some of the relationships (i.e. Janice) still hit the devotion tone I enjoy.

I'd be interested in seeing a poll on which is more interesting to the subscriber base.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:37:27 am by onyxghoul » Logged
lancehunter
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2023, 10:13:12 am »

I think it's also worth considering the fact that this is a kink that we all consume though fiction. My friends I know who do more traditional BDSM, for example, are primarily expressing their kink with a partner and are thus able to do all the appropriate aftercare and checking in that lets them know that their partner is enjoying what they are doing. I suspect that the "ethical/unintentional controller" stories have such a big demand among the MC kinkster audience specifically because we can't do any of this for real with someone else and thus can't actually get that same kind of reassurance.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2023, 01:46:40 pm »

First: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

We are all in the situation of having a fantasy that (largely) has almost no morally-acceptable real-world expression. Given that, I think it's pretty unwise to try to read a real-world morality play into anything here. If we're going to start getting concerned about that kind of stuff, what "Waiting Room" says about… just about anything ranks far higher in my list of problematic situations than what "The Inheritance" might say about male sexuality.

As a woman who enjoys fantasizing about subbing (among many other things), I assure you I enjoy fantasizing about a Stephen a lot more than I enjoy fantasizing about a Charles. And if you don't find the interaction between Stephen and Lucinda sweet, well, too bad because I love it. :-)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 01:49:07 pm by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
lancehunter
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2023, 07:19:57 pm »

Clearly we're not ready to address the real elephant in the room: What the title Drains was saying about the proper funding and maintenance of municipal wastewater systems.
hereno
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 05:28:22 pm »

He's still "that guy," if that guy is someone who has sex with women who have been irresistibly compelled to do so.

You’re not wrong, but that’s an inherent aspect of the very concept of mind control fantasies, isn’t it? Emphasis on “fantasy.” We the readers identify with the mind controller because we can’t conceive of getting great sex through our looks or charm. Some of us just want to be able to identify with the kind of character we’d like to see ourselves as. If your kink is to be the “male pursuer,” fine. Others of us like the idea - which, again, we know must not exist outside fantasy - of being able to make woman want to pursue us.

There was a long phase of my life when I thought the same way you did, and I came to MC erotica for much the same reason. But to give you a small window into my personal journey: I was finally inspired (partially through a tweet from Daphne; RIP Daphne's Twitter account) to seek out the real-world BDSM scene, and Dominant/submissive and Master/slave relationships. And what I realized -- to my complete surprise! -- is that it had never been that I was "unattractive" or "undesirable": it was that I'd been seeking the wrong kind of relationships. Once I found out what I was "meant" for, I started meeting all sorts of partners. And they are the most amazing women on the planet.

And -- guess what -- these days, sometimes they pursue me.

I know that all feels impossible. It felt impossible for me. But if this is really what your sexual orientation is, then you owe it to yourself to go explore it. I did. So can you. If you want to.

-------
P.S. The above has all really made me re-evaluate my relationship to MC, now that I know that Master/slavery is a real relationship style that I can really live. That's probably a whole essay unto itself, but very briefly: there is still a kick to being a selfish bad guy who just takes whatever he wants and gives nothing back. That's what MC erotica provides for me: a safe outlet for that instinct. Real M/s relationships are about consent and care, which is beautiful, but a different kick. (For this exact reason, I do not now and never have liked "nice guy" MC, because for me at least, it defeats the purpose. To Haight's point, it can kind of feel like whitewashing the inherent villainy of MC.)

P.P.S. Daphne's tweet actually related to polyamory, not M/s, but the general concept was that it is a sexual orientation. For some reason, that's what made me realize I had to explore this stuff for real.
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 06:01:35 pm »

Uh, speak for yourself. I'm no Casanova but I do ok. There's absolutely nothing wrong, and plenty hot, with fantasizing about what you're describing, and I'd probably enjoy it if it was being presented as a male character surreptitiously mind controlling a female character into pursuing him. The issue is Stephen isn't even doing that - he's just being *passive*. Which is fine, to each their own, but the difference between him and his father isn't whether or not they take advantage of mind controlled cuties, it's whether or not they're passive. And so this talk in a meta context about how Stephen isn't "that guy" because he's passive, and that you feel like it's morally icky to imagine yourself as a non-passive guy, is what I'm talking about. I'm here for mind control kink and maledom; if you find it icky, or find male sexuality in general icky, it's going to be hard for us to see eye to eye or like the same things. You might find this site works for you, though.

To use an analogy, it's like if someone found a thousand dollars on his dad's dresser after he passed, and knew his dad had stolen it from somebody and who that person was. If he goes and spends that money instead of returning it, he's still the asshole, he doesn't get himself out of responsibility for that because his dad stole it first, and it would make this hypothetical person morally pathetic to argue that.

Dude, if you think that "The inheritance" shows male sexuality in negative way but (say) "The Hidden Knowledge" doesn't, I really don't know what to say to you.

At this point, Haight, I really have to ask: Why do you subscribe? It seems like a lot of money to spend to be disappointed (and apparently now offended) every week.

A story can work with the moral framing of "mind controlling women with a magic book made of human skin is wrong" without saying anything negative (or anything at all) about male sexuality. Janice's husband doesn't realize that people are being mind controlled, so he isn't culpable, of course, but in my mind he's the least interesting sideplot, and he doesn't do anything to advance the main plot.

The idea of "male characters who do anything but sit and wait for women to pursue them are unlikable/evil" is what I'm not comfortable with. It's like being subjected to a gender-flipped version of someone's madonna/whore complex. "Male characters getting pursued by women is hot" is great, though. Even if that's not always my vibe. The former is sex-negative; criticizing someone for vibing with the latter is also sex-negative.

I left for a bit, and there's still some good stories on this site, but overall I'm thinking of making my exit. I like MC kink, and some of the other content, but there's so much more elsewhere that's interesting and up my alley compared to this.

Seeing this discussion/disagreement made me reflect a bit on the kink. As I see it, there are two attractive elements to MC: devotion and domination. I think SJI has two characters that exemplifies the dissonance between the two: Adrian represents devotion while Jakob represents dominance. I'm much more attracted to the former, and I don't really see appeal when the women are turned into mindless bimbos. I like the direction this story goes.

Hidden Knowledge is an interesting one, as I feel like it sort of straddles both. It seems to be headed in the domination direction, but some of the relationships (i.e. Janice) still hit the devotion tone I enjoy.

I'd be interested in seeing a poll on which is more interesting to the subscriber base.

There's plenty to domination without the degradation and dehumanization that characterizes Jakob (or Waiting Room). I think conflating the two is a mistake, and I think it's wrong to assume that a guy has to degrade or dehumanize his partner to be dominant, though that's beside the point; clearly some people like that dehumanization and degradation. I don't see the appeal in women being turned into mindless bimbos, either, but I don't see the appeal in a guy sitting around and waiting for women to come to him, and I *definitely* don't see the appeal in saying that men who don't sit around and wait are evil, especially when the goal is to enjoy the benefits of the actions of the men who don't sit around and wait.

If you want to see how that poll might turn out, I'd recommend the book "Men in Love" by Nancy Friday, who made a collection and commentary of mens' sexual fantasies. She's done a couple on women as well.

I think it's also worth considering the fact that this is a kink that we all consume though fiction. My friends I know who do more traditional BDSM, for example, are primarily expressing their kink with a partner and are thus able to do all the appropriate aftercare and checking in that lets them know that their partner is enjoying what they are doing. I suspect that the "ethical/unintentional controller" stories have such a big demand among the MC kinkster audience specifically because we can't do any of this for real with someone else and thus can't actually get that same kind of reassurance.

I disagree, otherwise you'd see consensual mind control being a bigger thing in stories ("Mindfuck me, it always feels amazing when you do it, honey"). I find that incredibly hot when it happens - Catherine's "I want it all" in Beyond Rubies is a *sizzling* hot line. But for the same people that seem to like the "accidental controller," it seems to be a huge turnoff.

We are all in the situation of having a fantasy that (largely) has almost no morally-acceptable real-world expression. Given that, I think it's pretty unwise to try to read a real-world morality play into anything here. If we're going to start getting concerned about that kind of stuff, what "Waiting Room" says about… just about anything ranks far higher in my list of problematic situations than what "The Inheritance" might say about male sexuality.

As a woman who enjoys fantasizing about subbing (among many other things), I assure you I enjoy fantasizing about a Stephen a lot more than I enjoy fantasizing about a Charles. And if you don't find the interaction between Stephen and Lucinda sweet, well, too bad because I love it. :-)

Well, Waiting Room doesn't really say anything about the morality of the characters involved, but some of them seem to be pretty bad people. The Alchemist just seems to be a playful take that doesn't worry about the morality of things, and that's fine. It's fine to throw out the morality of it and enjoy the kink - and it's fine to take morality seriously, depending on how realistic you want the story to be. What seems wack to me is when it's applied unevenly. Like "Women mind controlling is sexy fun and isn't a problem, but a man even thinking about it is a monster" - thankfully that isn't too common here. But you get the stuff where you've got a guy and his female partner, and he doesn't mind control her, but she's mind controlled by a third party who could snap his fingers and take away all her love and desire for her partner, and that's somehow portrayed as sexy - I just don't vibe. In this case Stephen's dad is dead (we presume), but... I just can't find Stephen's relationship with Lucinda sweet. Stephen is selfish and hypocritical.

I'm not here to audit your fantasies, that would be weird, I'm just pointing out how I relate to this stuff, and if I'm receiving sex-negative messaging it sucks.

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2023, 06:55:11 pm »

I normally don't like to talk about "themes" in what I write because it's kind of boring and pretentious, but the core theme of "The Inheritance" has nothing to do with the morality of mind control, which is essentially never discussed once. The core theme is: if you are in a dominant position over someone, what responsibilities do you have to them? Charles said, "None, I'm the Master that's why," and Stephen says, "Since I'm the Master, it's my job to take care of those who are submissive to me." There's absolutely nothing in the story that criticizes D/s relationships; it just acknowledges that they can be well or poorly handled. (If you think Charles' approach is actually the right one, well, we'll just agree to disagree on that.) Focusing on the who-MC'd-who-to-do-what is, in the wonderful phrase of a friend of mine, a welder's review of Flashdance.

Now, you may think I am doing a shit job of presenting that theme in "The Inheritance," and that's fine. You won't persuade me of that, but it's a valid thing for someone to think. But I simply cannot get your analysis of it from the actual story. Stephen is not being passive at all; he is trying to find the submissives that Charles has abandoned. That's right in the text; you don't have to go even a millimeter down to find that. You might say, "well, if Stephen were really a good person he wouldn't even have sex with the women," but to me that's like reading a Western and saying, "well, if the hero gunslinger were really a good person, he'd sell his guns and open a soup kitchen." It's applying non-genre considerations to a genre story.

Yes, there will be characters who do mind control in some of the stories who are portrayed as bad people. There's also Expanded Universe, where the one really bad character who has appeared is also the one who is bad at mind control. There's An Education, where the protag is cutting a swath through the women in his life without even a raised eyebrow (except maybe one case of "don't know my own strength!"). There's "Free Trade," where MC is treated kind of like having to work a few hours of OT when you had concert tickets. There's "The Persuader" where both the protagonist and the antagonist are very free with the MC (and I note that most people seemed to like the antagonist better).

Yeah, if it had anything even approximately to do with anything like real life (which it most certainly does not), the characters in "Waiting Room" would be awful, but you know, Darth Vader gets a lot of his own novels and (mostly) people don't see that as a ringing endorsement of the Empire's method of governance. They just like seeing him force-choke people.

So, sorry you don't like "The Inheritance," but I think you are reading things into it that are just not there.

Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2023, 08:02:44 pm »

I normally don't like to talk about "themes" in what I write because it's kind of boring and pretentious, but the core theme of "The Inheritance" has nothing to do with the morality of mind control, which is essentially never discussed once.

Well, both myself and Leonardo Reign disagree, even if we have different takes on a lot of other stuff.

Now, you may think I am doing a shit job of presenting that theme in "The Inheritance," and that's fine. You won't persuade me of that, but it's a valid thing for someone to think. But I simply cannot get your analysis of it from the actual story. Stephen is not being passive at all; he is trying to find the submissives that Charles has abandoned. That's right in the text; you don't have to go even a millimeter down to find that. You might say, "well, if Stephen were really a good person he wouldn't even have sex with the women," but to me that's like reading a Western and saying, "well, if the hero gunslinger were really a good person, he'd sell his guns and open a soup kitchen." It's applying non-genre considerations to a genre story.

He's being passive in the sense of how he's interacting with the women romantically/sexually. They're all coming to him. *If Stephen thinks mind control is evil*, which he seems to, then he should be refusing sex with his dad's harem. If that's not the case, and the genre convention is just "mind control isn't morally diabolical, it's mistreating the mind controlled that's the sin that Prof. Haines committed" then that's not the vibe that I or at least one other reader got.

Yes, there will be characters who do mind control in some of the stories who are portrayed as bad people.

Won't catch me complaining about that.

Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2023, 08:40:19 pm »

OK, thanks. All can I advise, Haight, is just don't read this one anymore, because nothing in it is going to change in a way that will make it more acceptable to you.

Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2023, 11:58:14 pm »

A pity, because Mau's art is really well done.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: