Mind Control Comics Forum
October 06, 2024, 03:47:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary #741: “Welcome Wagon”  (Read 7441 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: June 18, 2018, 12:01:08 am »

Written by: Daphne • Inks: Plutonian Knight • Colors and Lettering: Octavia Moon

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
macavity
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Macavity

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:27:29 am »

Aagh! Is this the advent of the dreaded Purple Plague and will she take out the watch and the crystal? Is she hot enough?

GB
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:51:36 pm »

This isn't a trick of night lighting?  It's an opponent or problem for Erin with pink hair?  Oh boy.
lifmcs
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 01:01:12 am »

Main Takeaway: Daphne is still on a mermaid kick.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:43:19 am »

Oh.  *sigh*  Maybe we'll see more of Mal later.

Say, if her name's Amalthia, were her parents hoping for unicorn camp?
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:57:12 am »

Oh.  *sigh*

It's not like this hasn't been extremely well telegraphed.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:37 pm »

Him being in town does not mean they have to find the first convenient flat surface.

His presence could be interesting but where The Luckiest Programmer in the World has Reka as a balance, this guy is solo.  Besides, this guy has historically been a font of bad ideas.
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 02:48:45 pm »

Him being in town does not mean they have to find the first convenient flat surface.

His presence could be interesting but where The Luckiest Programmer in the World has Reka as a balance, this guy is solo.  Besides, this guy has historically been a font of bad ideas.

Yeah, well, here's hoping Adrian can actually redeem himself a little bit and deal with this guy.

Winston is harmless and a little funny, though if I were Adrian I still wouldn't want him banging Erin. This guy is different.

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:35:19 pm »

Is there any need for me to point out that they have not actually done so?  Perhaps they will.  Or they might talk.  Or they might go to sleep, seeing as it's pushing oh-dark-thirty.

Besides, this guy has historically been a font of bad ideas.

Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but I'm honestly not sure why you say that.  We've seen very little of Aiden so far in the comic.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:54 am »

I'll have to refer back to the guest pages, but wasn't the Conjuring Night that Warped Cherry his idea?

I'm pleased they haven't gotten physical yet, but the Weston experience has me skeptical.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 07:16:20 pm »

I'll have to refer back to the guest pages, but wasn't the Conjuring Night that Warped Cherry his idea?

I just scanned through the guest pages and can't see any evidence of that.  The only guest page that even features the relevant characters is g002 and that doesn't involve any planning for conjuring night.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 09:54:01 pm »

Ok, I did some scanning through the regular comics and I think you have the situation exactly backwards.  When Cherry and Erin are discussing their back-story in #232, they have the following exchange:

Erin: "I did what I could.  I didn't know what you were planning."
Cherry: "Erin, we had talked about it."
Erin: "We had *joked* about it!  Neither of us could have done that safely!  Aiken said he couldn't do it!"

This pretty clearly indicates that Cherry's actions were not his idea.  If anything it suggests he was against it and Cherry went ahead anyhow.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 06:47:10 am »

A lot depends on tone and dynamics that feel like they're still in question.  We know that Aiken said he couldn't do the spell.  We know Erin read that as "Do NOT do this!!" but we also know that Cherry seemed unaware that Erin had healed her after the Bad Night.  Which is weird, because Aiken was there when she woke up and he could (and one expects should) have told her that.  If I'm reading that right, and that's a big IF, it does NOT look good for Aiken that this was new information for Cherry.

Also, the group dynamics are a little fuzzy.  We know that Cherry had an attraction to Erin.  We know that Aiken and Erin were in an intimate relationship before she left.  Were they exclusive?  How aware was Erin of Cherry's feelings?  Did they ever act on them?  Did Aiken and Cherry also play?  He was mentoring both in their Practice.

Cherry could have read the same comment by Aiken as a challenge regardless of tone, or he could have spoken about it differently to her.

to Erin:  "Even I can't do this.  Trying it would be completely irresponsible."

to Cherry: "Y'know, I can't do this.  It would be amazing if you succeeded.  I bet Erin would be really impressed."

That's the worst case scenario, though.

Or he could have said the same words to both Erin and Cherry and Cherry could have taken it as a challenge.  "They'll have to notice me...take me seriously when I succeed..." etc.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 09:01:23 pm »

None of those interpretations, even if granted, supports the initial claim of Aiken as "a font of bad ideas".
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 07:30:35 am »

Worst interpretation is that Aiken knew he was goading Cherry into trying it, didn't care, and then let Cherry think Erin abandoned her when Erin actually saved her life.

He seems to have done the last part for reasons that are still not clear.

I read it as he was the source of the idea for the summoning (brought it up in lessons, mentioned it in passing) that this initial seed piqued their interest and then the exchange that Erin and Cherry seem to have taken in opposite ways.

If you remember, I've had to work to erase my prejudice against Weston.  I might have to go through a similar process with Aiken.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: