Mind Control Comics Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:21:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary 15  (Read 11169 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: January 14, 2011, 07:54:38 am »

It's up!

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
Technophyle
Subscriber
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:14:14 am »

Just a minor note: as Danielle is Québecoise, she most likely wouldn't "me palucher".  "Se crosser" is the normal slang for "masturbate" in Quebec French.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:23:37 pm »

Just a minor note: as Danielle is Québecoise, she most likely wouldn't "me palucher".  "Se crosser" is the normal slang for "masturbate" in Quebec French.

Danielle lived in Paris from ages 9 through 17, so she picked up continental French sex slang instead of Quebecois.

The continuity book I wrote says so.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:27:38 pm by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
master
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »

Wow, Quebecois sex-slang! And my Junior High English teacher told me i'd never learn anything from comics...
Technophyle
Subscriber
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:27:16 pm »

Just a minor note: as Danielle is Québecoise, she most likely wouldn't "me palucher".  "Se crosser" is the normal slang for "masturbate" in Quebec French.

Danielle lived in Paris from ages 9 through 17, so she picked up continental French sex slang instead of Quebecois.

The continuity book I wrote says so.

Suuure it does...

Or, to quote a friend of mine, "Calice de tabarnak, les excuses, c'est vraiment le fun."
Hypnospiral
Subscriber
One Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »

HORRAY!!! Its really starting to get good now!!!!
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

Quebecois swear words are strange.

hypnonile
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

Angry Comic Book Nerd

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:27 am »

Oh yeah, I remember when I went to a hockey game in Montreal...all the "swear" words the fans were yelling are things related to a church. No seriously, they yelled things like "Baptism" and "Sacrament". Anyways, this comic just keeps getting better :-D
Technophyle
Subscriber
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:24:12 am »

Oh yeah, I remember when I went to a hockey game in Montreal...all the "swear" words the fans were yelling are things related to a church. No seriously, they yelled things like "Baptism" and "Sacrament". Anyways, this comic just keeps getting better :-D

Agree with the comic.

Historical note: the reason why the swear and curses are church related is because of the heavy-handed way the Catholic church was involved in Quebec society and government.  People were so resentful that terms related to church gradually became used as swearing.  Originally it was considered minor, the way "Christ!" or "Goddammit!" are used in English and considered almost innocuous today, but the priests were outraged and continually railed against it.  People being people, that of course merely encouraged them to use it more because the powers that be tried to make it forbidden, and the more the church tried to stop the language, the more powerful it became.  You see the same thing in English with words like "fuck": in places where it's forbidden, like network TV in the United States, the use of it is shocking so of course people want to use it.  In places where swearing is second nature, such as among soldiers, it's infuckingconceivable that anyone would give a fuck that you fucking use the fucking word, so it just becomes another fucking adjective.  And adverb.  And infix.  And noun, verb, interjection, exclamation...

Anyway, the type of swearing is known as sacré because the priests tried to assert that the words were sacred and shouldn't be used that way, which did nothing to prevent people from using it that way.
TheWorm
Browser
One Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »

Either way, after rereading last week's strip ('cause the new one ain't up yet), all I can say is, "tabernac"!   Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: