Mind Control Comics Forum
September 30, 2024, 12:31:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary 203: Quoth the Raven  (Read 43468 times)
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:53 am »

Except, of course, for her just having shown comfort with firearms.  There is a first time for seeing everything.
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 08:53:27 am »

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:02:49 am by GodWilling » Logged
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:56 am »

We don't actually know that Caitlyn is familiar with, comfortable with, or savvy about firearms; we just know she didn't have a freak-out worth mentioning when she saw them.

All we've seen about Jacqui's involvement with the guns is that she didn't freak out, and was pouring coffee while Dani and Mallory loaded.

Speaking as someone who was raised in Toronto, it's hard for us Canadians or our UK brethren to completely get how common guns are in the US, especially in rural and semi-rural states.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:31:56 am by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:52 am »

I find Caitlyn's lack of a response to the small arsenal on the table odd myself.  To me that would indicate that she's comfortable with a lot of guns around at home.  Where did she grow up?  What kind of a place is Livermore, California?

As far as my own reaction to the latest turn of events--At the very least, everyone at the table knows that someone has raised the stakes to life and death.  Our mystery Driver went out of his/her way to hit either Dani or someone wearing Mallory's jacket with the intent of causing fatal injury.  There's no indication that the driver lost control of the car or attempted to brake.  That was intentional.  It looks like a majority of the first cohort has decided to invoke what the film The Untouchables called "The Chicago Way."

Because we know the stakes are now life and death, fear, vigilance, upgraded security and defense are called for--but I mentioned other options.  Mace and tasers would be viable nonlethal options for women under threat in a town setting.  They're easy to use (or to learn to use), they're portable, and they're discreet.  Installing a security system would definitely help.  Plus, considering self-defense classes makes sense, but that's a process, not a single step.  Guns (particularly shotguns and long weapons) are neither discreet nor easily portable.  And you notice, none of the girls went out and got .22s or Saturday Night Specials, they got serious firepower, even in handguns.

As our author indicated, these aren't available wholesale at Walmart.  Purhcasing them and matched ammunition would require proficiency and a little discernment, and finding a gun shop that sold such weapons.   It looks like they went out and bought them while Erin was in the hospital (since we haven't seen any weapons before or any gun safes where they could be stored (the way that Erin's athame is stored in a decorative-looking box).

They went out on a weeknight and purchased a small arsenal of well-made weapons from a gun shop.  Are there gunshops in Kearsage?

I've asked about The Watch in a couple previous posts.  I have to believe that we're going to see it soon at the SJI since our author is staying mum about it.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:51:49 am by jmundt29 » Logged
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 11:56:43 am »

There are probably at least three gun shops in convenient driving distance of the Infirmary, based on my experience of New Hampshire (it's a very gun-friendly state). It wouldn't surprise me if one was, if not 24 hours, open late. However, it's not giving away anything to say that both Mallory and Danielle had both the guns and the ammunition in their possession since before issue 1. The SIG P226 is not an extremely common gun (although it is the standard officer sidearm for at least the RCAF), and Holland & Holland shotguns are all bespoke.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:02:49 pm by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 12:09:21 pm »

Bespoke?  Does that mean H&H is an old manufacturer that went under or was bought up by someone else, or that they're all custom-made?

As for the danger--Adrian did tell Dani about the coming storm (or the impression Rain left of it) just before the snowball fight.  I'm fairly sure that she's passed that tidbit along to the first cohort.  So the Pellerins are like the Siscos?  For one of her birthdays, Dani's father gave her an RACF sidearm and ammo?
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »

Bespoke?  Does that mean H&H is an old manufacturer that went under or was bought up by someone else, or that they're all custom-made?

Custom-made.

For one of her birthdays, Dani's father gave her an RACF sidearm and ammo?

Well, General Pellerin does not seem like the kind of father who is overly concerned that his daughter only display ladylike characteristics.

jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »

Sorry, I garbled that a bit.  He wouldn't have just given her one of his own and requisitioned a new one.  So, I'd assume he'd have it custom-made.  So, he had a copy of his own made, or did he size it down slightly to fit her grip and stance?
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 01:03:47 pm »

I'm not sure if you're referring to Mallory or Danielle. In the case of Danielle, her guns are mass-manufacturered. In the case of Mallory, "he"?

jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »

I was referring to Dani.  The gun she's holding in 203 is her SIG I'm assuming.  She's 25.  It's been 3 years (hasn't it) since the solo flight into New York that precipitated her kidnapping (tough to tell with three different competing histories bouncing around in her head).  So, she was 22 the last time the General saw her.  Typical air force and navy sidearms are heavy weapons (big for her hands, enough recoil to knock her flat), or at least that's how it used to be.  So, I was wondering--wouldn't the General have had a sidearm specially modified for Dani at 18 or 21, so that it would sit well in her grip with enough stopping power to be a serious weapon, but a light enough kick that she'd be comfortable with it?
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »

What kind of a place is Livermore, California?

It's right next to Pleasanton, which is in the running for the most inaccurately-named municipality worldwide. 

Loosely speaking, there's no reason why any particular person from that area wouldn't have a personal familiarity with firearms.  New York it ain't.

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 03:29:11 pm »

Well, the standard-issue P226 is a 9mm, which (while it means business) isn't really wrist-breaking. I have a friend who is 5' 0" and maybe 110 lbs soaking wet, and she can fire a 9mm and stay on her feet.

GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:52 pm »

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:03:09 am by GodWilling » Logged
Chettbaker
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

Reformed Spiritual Grifter

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »

I was going to say sig226 in 9mm isn't exactly a nothing gun but 40 & 45 caliber
have a lot more kick.  Though the sig226 isn't that common; Chinese knockoffs (norinco) are just as easy to buy (at almost half price) online.

My quibble is with
Dani wearing dual shoulder holsters.  Tomb raider made it look easy but firing two pistols at once unless at extremely close range along with weapon recoil is a waste of bullets no matter how hard you try to aim.  As for the abundance of firearms dealers.  I think for Canadians, its not something that rates high on public awareness, but in fact there are far more gun stores than people realize.  There is also nothing to say that Dani didn't buy the Sigs on her own.

And why do I get the feeling that there are more gun owner/readers than first realized.

A lack of guns sitting in public doesn't denote their lack of presence. It just shows they were stored properly till the were needed.

New Hampshire its license plate slogan being : Live free or Die.  I would guess that makes them pretty gun friendly.

I put down Jacqui's iron nerves to her time spent as a groupie / roadie.

Well, the standard-issue P226 is a 9mm, which (while it means business) isn't really wrist-breaking. I have a friend who is 5' 0" and maybe 110 lbs soaking wet, and she can fire a 9mm and stay on her feet.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 06:12:31 pm »

Yeah, the firing-two-guns-at-once thing is pure theatre (I've tried it; it's a stupid idea). Having two guns is not a terrible idea in case there is a problem with one, or you don't want to take the time to reload, though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: