Mind Control Comics Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:29:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary 85: Cheese It, It's the Boss.  (Read 15687 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: May 10, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

Coming tomorrow!

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:42 pm »

Okay, this is a befuddling one.  This could be either

1. Jacqui returning after Adrian and Erin met her daughter (though what cheese has to do with anything I don't know)

2. Laura and Vikram's supervisor (or thesis advisor or something) walking in just after the discovery of the pheremone perfume

3. Some discussion between Maddy and the cook (or possibly with the other waitresses) at the Diner

or

4. Our first chance to meet Sawyer in his/her place of business.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:34:20 am »

Oh come on! Angry  Well, are we due for a splash page? Huh  Pretty please? Wink

It was option one, but it was preliminary to the actual encounter we've been eagerly anticipating.

So, Ms. Ravella has a daughter with a famous entertainment lawyer who got custody and young Dom (or whatever her name is--perhaps you'd care to supply it now?Wink) has been groomed to inherit her mother's looks and fashion sense but her father's personality (making her an entertaining potential villainess...or harem member...or both).

I confess, I'm still fuzzy on how old Dom is.

Her mother is 39 at this moment.  Dom looks at least 19 which means that Jacqui would have been no older than 20 when she had her.  Now, frankly--I can't see young Jacqui having a fling with an entertainment lawyer because she doesn't seem to be about the money.  Except...does anyone on this board remember the film He's Just Not That Into You (or is that too schmaltzy for this board)?  If, in the early '90s, this shark was also devastatingly handsome and charming and Jacqui was a struggling artist--I can see him seducing her before she developed her defense mechanisms.  That's possible. Undecided

By the way, I still don't understand the Cheese part of the title.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:51:43 am by jmundt29 » Logged
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:16:47 am »

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-che4.htm

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
master
Subscriber
Two Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:33:40 am »

hey, the Brian Eno exchange alone makes this a favorite episode. But as far as why Jaqui would be with an entertainment lawyer, 19 years (estimated) is plenty of time to go from cool student to successful lawyer.

Plus, Daphne could be setting up a new adversary here: I kinda remember an EMCSA story about a mind-controller setting himself up as an agent in order to make his way through CAA's (or their fictional equivalent) female client list (as well as the the all-important starfucking). And a hot-shot entertainment law firm would have the same sort of access as a hot talent agency, right?

Then again, maybe she & the lawyer met at an Elvis Costello concert, and the rest was hot sweaty history.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:10:33 am »

Thanks for the clarification Daphne.

The Eno reference went right past me.  Sorry.

As for Dom's father--one gets the impression that he presents a possible new adversary for the reasons you described (agent using his talents to build up a female star client list that he could seduce).

The situation we presently find ourselves in would seem to indicate that he was already a high-powered entertainment lawyer when he met Jacqui because a young, ambitious law student who didn't come from old money wouldn't viciously fight for sole custody.  In fact, I'd think he'd embrace absentee fatherhood (but then the best case scenario would be Jacqui developing like a rockers' version of Lorelai Gilmore).

I also made reference to He's Just Not That Into You where a handsome, shallow, self-centered lawyer got bored with his marriage and started seeing a struggling young artist (who taught yoga to pay the bills while she wrote songs) with promises of helping her with her career and an affair developed.

The lawyer was played by Bradley Cooper, and the yoga instructor was played by Scarlett Johansson.  I considered that potentially plausible for Jacqui, but I'd like more information--I think Dom's real first name (and age) are the outline of a reasonable request.
elbenton
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

Insert clever phrase or quotation here.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:28:11 pm »

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-che4.htm

Old Warner Brothers cartoons (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.) from the 1930's and '40's used to have that expression in the dialog at times.  It's not used very much anymore.  Anyone who has ever watched one of those old cartoons could figure out the meaning from those contexts. 

I think that Cheez-It crackers are a spin-off from that expression, although I can't find any real evidence of this.
elbenton
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

Insert clever phrase or quotation here.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

Actually, I guess a lot of those cartoons were released in the late 1950's.  There was actually one in 1957 with two mice resembling Abbott and Costello.  The name of this one was "Cheese it! The Cat!".

Okay, I'm done with inane trivia for now.
powerpossum
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »

Oh come on! Angry  Well, are we due for a splash page? Huh  Pretty please? Wink

Splash pages are the ninja of the SJI world. They come when you least expect it, deadly and silent, a whisper of silk, a flash of steel, and...okay, the metaphor breaks down a bit. The point is...they will come. Live in fear!

So, Ms. Ravella has a daughter with a famous entertainment lawyer who got custody and young Dom (or whatever her name is--perhaps you'd care to supply it now?Wink)

Why is her Working Title 'Dom?' Does it stand for something? Is it short for something? I have to admit, it's been killing me for two weeks.

Then again, maybe she & the lawyer met at an Elvis Costello concert, and the rest was hot sweaty history.

Hot Sweaty History would be a pretty cool name for an Elvis Costello album, too, now that you mention it. Maybe not Elvis Costello. But somebody.

I think that Cheez-It crackers are a spin-off from that expression, although I can't find any real evidence of this.

I never thought of that! I hope it's true. That's a little extra bit of cool, and Cheez-Its are already fairly cool to begin with.

Okay, I'm done with inane trivia for now.

Too bad...inane trivia's my favorite kind!

Thanks everyone for reading and posting - you guys' posts, like the Secret Origin of Cheez-Its, are definitely an extra bit of cool.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:32:16 pm »

I used Dom for short as a descriptor of her personality from the way she carries herself, hoping to prod her real name out of you, or Octavia, or Daphne.  I could have used the last syllable and gone with something like Trixie, but that sounds like a perfumed rat-dog owned by one of those famous for being famous reality show women.  That just didn't seem to fit. 
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 05:36:07 pm »

Old Warner Brothers cartoons (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.) from the 1930's and '40's used to have that expression in the dialog at times.  It's not used very much anymore.

The phrase also put in an appearance in the "Mars University" episode of Futurama.  Whenever Bender and his robot fraternity brothers got into trouble Bender would yell "Cheese it!" and they'd run off.  I think he may have used the expression in other episodes as well, although I don't recall any more specific instances.  I guess this goes to show that everything old becomes new again...
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:27 pm »

I used Dom for short as a descriptor of her personality from the way she carries herself, hoping to prod her real name out of you, or Octavia, or Daphne.

Hee! Don't worry, she won't be anonymous forever.

jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »

I was just doing what I could to gently hasten the revelation of her name (and hopefully her full physical form including her face).  However, I do actually have a web question.  Why is the web address for issue #85 include saintjaimesinfirmary and the issue title, but not its number sequencing.

For instance, the web address for issue #84 is:  http://mindcontrolcomics.com/members/weekly/sji-i084

However, the web address for the issue dated 5-11-12 is:  http://mindcontrolcomics.com/members/weekly/cheese_it_it's_the_boss/

If I type the web address that I would expect to be next in the sequence after issue #84, it's blank.  However, the issue title address for issue #84

http://mindcontrol/comics.com/members/weekly/benefit_plan/

isn't valid either.  Does the web address for the newest issue indicate a change in policy, or will issue #85 be redesignated to it's i number address once it is no longer the most recent issue?
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 07:36:28 pm »

Just saying: https://twitter.com/dark_shark/status/624018221553750016

Haight
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 01:41:50 am »

Well, that was his first mistake.

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: