Mind Control Comics Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:11:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary 302: More Please, 3.  (Read 15397 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: June 12, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »

Friday, June 13th!

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »

So, yeah, maybe Miriam is Raven's customer.

Or perhaps her investigations have pointed her towards the SJI crew. In desperate need of answers, she walks gingerly, with a long extension cable unwinding behind her. Finally she brings herself to the threshold. She presses the button - gently at first, then really fast and furious - until someone comes. She enters their shuttered palace demanding satisfaction. Jacqui is fetched. Haight's prayers are answered. Our questions are not.
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »

That was poetic.  Thinking about the tower and everyone's horniness, though, it's possible that the tower has been ramping up power slowly - first the campus, then the whole town, which gradually becomes the sex capital of the planet.  I'd be down with that. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:36:32 pm by Haight » Logged

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
laguna85
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

She in deep sleep

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:00:08 pm »

Will it be bad on Friday the 13th!
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 01:11:21 am »

How does Miriam really know what her mother's been up to?  It's not like she's had more than 2 five-minute conversations with her since she's been in town.  I guess she's done her homework enough to know that her mom's got a new boyfriend?

Also, is Miriam more endowed than Erin, even?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:06:36 am by Haight » Logged

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:32 am »

They both come with a fair amount of baggage.

I think Miriam knew what Jacqui was doing in the stockroom while Erin was trying to cover for her. Jacqui told Adrian she had intended to wait for Q while he was in prison. That's maybe what Miriam was expecting based upon her last contact with Jacqui. Or maybe Miriam and Jacqui have a telepathic connection...

I'm not sure what Reka and Weston's reaction in the last panel is supposed to tell us.

A nice touch with Raven using the towel in the first panel. And another shadow to conjure with - though I don't think that was intentional. I like "I want all the coffee" too. In 87 Miriam says she doesn't drink anything with caffeine - I don't know if the discrepancy here is intentional.

jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:56 am »

I'm sure it is intentional.  Maybe not drinking caffeine is or was a post-Q affectation like choosing to walk away from her birth name.  Or, she could have some kind of starter kit to test the coffee to see if it's drugged.  Overeoasted coffee is the only consumable she's seen her mother ingest.  She could be assuming that's the delivery system.  Or, it could just be really late, and Pearl's wiped herself out in her room.  As for the bust question, I don't know.  It would be interesting to get a chance to compare again.

Other interesting questions have also arisen.  Would Reka and Cavalier Twit immediately know Pearl's talking about Jacqui?  Reka might as she's presumably the sober one, but...Huh

Also, who's playing Juliet?  Why is she smashed?  She's supposed to have no poison left to drink.
Werdna
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Gin-soaked dandy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:35:17 am »

I think Miriam's caffeine search is meant to indicate how stressed she is in this (possibly bell tower-induced) environment - so much so that she's abandoning (temporarily, one presumes) an important element of her chosen lifestyle. (BTW, calling her seriousness about her Judaism as a "post-Q affectation" - and this would include both the avoidance of caffeine as well as her name change to Miriam - is, I think, unfair to her.  I don't think people do these things lightly, and if you add the fact that she has chosen to pursue graduate work in Jewish Studies as part of her living out her faith, she seems to be a serious-minded individual about these things.)

As far as her thinking that something's up with her mother - well, presumably there is a pretty close (if frayed) bond between mother and daughter, and enough of a bond for her to know (or at least strongly suspect) that she's not 'herself' in some way.  She has reason to be suspicious as well because she was previously involved tangentially in some sort of mind control plot (even if she understood it as the manufacture and sale of mind-altering drugs (like hallucinogens, say) instead of a mind-control potion) and that she's worried that something else has come up.  So it's not unreasonable, to me at least, for her to suspect something's up.

Reka and Weston knowing about Jacqui: not mysterious to me.  There are similarities in appearance; Erin's castmates would surely know who Jacqui is, even if she weren't the strikingly hot indie record store owner with excellent taste; even more so, it follows that what Miriam says is talking about one person.

jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:49 am »

Perhaps I should have said "an alteration to her habits and personality brought on by the trauma of the experience with Q."

She can be devout and serious about her faith without shi...er, abandoning her birth name or forswearing all caffeine.  There's an element to this new persona she's adopted that seems specifically designed to punish her mother and to erase all traces of the woman from her life.  That element strikes me as false, insubstantial, an affectation, something to be discarded when the truth (including inner truths about Pearl, herself) is revealed.
Werdna
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Gin-soaked dandy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:50:45 am »

@jmundt29 - I grant that what you say is possible - it might be the case that Miriam converted to Judaism (or started taking her faith more seriously) is a result of and reaction to the incident with Q and her mother. It might be the case that taking the name Miriam is an attempt to punish her mother. But that's far from established.  I have an acquaintance who converted to Orthodox Judaism, gave up coffee, and changed his name from Christopher to Avrum.  (Even during the very lengthy conversion process - it took ages of study and reflection before the conversion was deemed 'complete' - he asked that he be referred to as "Chris" because he felt that including the full name of Christ in how he was addressed was disrespectful to his faith.  Doing these things did not estrange him from his family.  Equally important, taking the name and the lifestyle along with it (viz. no more caffeine) was an integral part of the conversion, not remotely something to be discarded.

That's why I think her asking for "all the coffee" is so significant - because she is so rattled up inside that she's not thinking straight.

As usual, though, now watch as it is revealed that the whole thing is part of a long con.  If it is, Miriam should be the hero of the whole comic, because that would be some awesome dedication.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 09:25:48 am »

Also, is Miriam more endowed than Erin, even?

That is the "is Superman faster than The Flash" question of the SJI universe.

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:28:02 am »

I'll also note that no branch of Orthodox Judaism (that I'm familiar with) prohibits caffeine consumption, except during fast days like anything else.

Werdna
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Gin-soaked dandy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:38 am »

Well, in Avrum's case, he gave up pretty much everything because he was so. damn. serious. I don't know if it was a matter of religious instruction or his personality requiring a rigid set of rules into which his new Orthodoxy fit.  But he certainly gave up a lot of stuff: alcohol, refined sugars, caffeine (as well as all non-Kosher foods, of course).  He's a pretty intense dude.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 09:41:49 am »

Well, in Avrum's case, he gave up pretty much everything because he was so. damn. serious. I don't know if it was a matter of religious instruction or his personality requiring a rigid set of rules into which his new Orthodoxy fit.  But he certainly gave up a lot of stuff: alcohol, refined sugars, caffeine (as well as all non-Kosher foods, of course).  He's a pretty intense dude.

There are some pretty serious people in various branches of Judaism. B&H Photo, where I get most of my production gear, shuts down their web site's shopping cart during the Sabbath. Even my Orthodox friends think that is pretty over-the-top.

Anyway, just noting that whatever is going on with Miriam and caffeine, it's a personal decision, not required by her faith.

Werdna
Subscriber
Four Star Sneetch

Gin-soaked dandy

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 10:06:30 am »

What do you know?  I was wrong again about something in the SJI-verse! Grin

Thanks for the clarifications, Daphne.  That's what I call some responsive creative control. 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: