Mind Control Comics Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:02:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How big should the comics be on the long edge?
1200 (current size)
1400 (current SJI size)
2000 (or higher)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Image size for the comics?  (Read 9990 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:13 am »

Right now, the comics are 1,200 pixels on the long edge (the vertical side for comics that are "portrait" format like Audiophilia, the horizontal edge for "landscape" comics like Beyond Rubies). Saint James Infirmary is 1,400 pixels on the long edge. Would you like them to be larger? Smaller? Vote above, comment below.

(Note that "we'd love downloads again" will just get a nod of the head and a sage smile. Smiley )
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:16:56 pm by Daphne » Logged

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
waranghira
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

MCCColorist

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »

I think the 1200 is fine, it's just that it seems the quality the pics are finally exported in is low, so the text suffers greatly in the compression distortion. Better if it was Save-For-Web in high quality jpg (ForWeb are typically small in filesize, so shouldn't be a worry).

Important to consider: can people with 4:3 monitors (1024px width) see the actual size of the pics (1200), or are they forced only with fit-screen (in their case, resized to 1024)?
Many times, default image browsers have a poor output for resizing-to-fit images.
That's why if I read it in CDisplayEx, I set the resizing filter to Kernel Lanczos (better and clearer than cubic).

"Beyond Rubies" and "Bibliomancy" colorist.

For my DA gallery: http://waranghira.deviantart.com
For stuff more than illustrations---like Storyboards, Ads, and Copy:
http://waranghira.daportfolio.com
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:18 pm »

Better if it was Save-For-Web in high quality jpg (ForWeb are typically small in filesize, so shouldn't be a worry).

They're already done as Save-for-Web at 90.

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
waranghira
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

MCCColorist

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »

Better if it was Save-For-Web in high quality jpg (ForWeb are typically small in filesize, so shouldn't be a worry).

They're already done as Save-for-Web at 90.

So, they are; just confirmed it by opening the files again in Windows Photo viewer and selecting actualy size. I must have assumed otherwise because of the default view of the horizontal ones which are in fit.
So, the problem really lies on how your browser resizes those pics.

It'd be nice if we were to know also the reason why people would want it bigger; is it the quality of the image and blurring of the letters when in resized preview mode, or simply because they want each single panel to fit the majority of their screen?

"Beyond Rubies" and "Bibliomancy" colorist.

For my DA gallery: http://waranghira.deviantart.com
For stuff more than illustrations---like Storyboards, Ads, and Copy:
http://waranghira.daportfolio.com
T5Medici
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:55:31 am »

I'd like larger because the images do not uprez to my screen size, 2560 x 1440, without breaking down. (Yes I can ask the operating system to enlarge the image to fill my screen. When I do, the words break down. When I don't, most of the words require that I'm VERY close to the screen to read.) Downsizing to a screen size is simpler for the OS than upsizing. Of course, I could start looking at the comics with my iPad though I lose the hover feature with the iPad. (No mouse cursor, only a finger!)

It's also about borders. Beyond Rubies has larger borders on most pages than most of the others. That means much less than 1200 x 800 for the six frames.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:00:18 am by T5Medici » Logged
jlpicrdh
Subscriber
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:12 pm »

I've got my computer output to my tv screen, so even though it's a 42" monitor, it's several feet away. That can make it hard to read if the type is too small. I can always size it down, but it's harder to size it up and have it keep the same quality. It's always a balancing act between bandwidth & speed, and image quality. The 1400 or 1600 would be fine I think. 2000 if you don't have any issues with your host trying to serve that much data.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:19:13 pm »

We've decided to bump up the standard size of the web versions of the comics to 1,400 pixels on the long edge, to make the text a bit more readable.

Downloads are back on as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: