Mind Control Comics Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:46:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Page orientation: standard comic page or landscape?  (Read 8640 times)
ghuserhname
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« on: June 28, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »

I couldn't figure out how to create a poll (I don't know if regular users can even post polls), but I wanted to check with the people on the board if they have any preferences for the orientation of the comics pages on here.
Since all new computer screens these days have a widescreen aspect ratio, and print editions of these comics aren't being published, there doesn't seem to be any reason for the comics pages on here to be done in the standard vertical page orientation. The horizontal layouts of Beyond Rubies, The Hidden Knowledge and Found Objects make it easier to read the pages on a modern computer screen without having to zoom and scroll (of course, with an iPad, it's easier to flip and read regardless of page orientation, so it doesn't really matter).

tl;dr: do you forum people have any preferences for MCC page orientations/layouts? Landscape or standard vertically oriented comics page?
amoxirakuzan
Browser
One Star Sneetch

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »

Horizontal is much easier for sure. Vertical is more like reading the page like a story and then going up and looking at the pic again and sometimes back and forth like that.

But it doesn't bother me all that much so I'm fine with what they feel more comfortable making. That said, if it doesn't matter I definitely prefer Horizontal.
Salanar
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:13:41 am »

While I would never presume to tell an artist how to draw, I will simply point out that horizontal would be easier to read. I do not know if its easier to draw though.
ghuserhname
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »

For fairness sake, here's a PM I got from a user by the name of "dzeiger":

Apologies for sending this via PM, but looks like I'm currently restricted from posting in that forum (probably because my subscription is currently lapsed, until either they get payment options worked out, or there's enough content to justify me paying for another movie or whatever).

Anyway, for my data point, I do not run my browser in fullscreen mode--I prefer to be able to access other desktop icons or windows without having to alt-tab or whatever. The window is still perhaps a bit wider than it is tall, but most artists doing widescreen images would end up forcing me to scroll or make the browser fullscreen (or both, I've seen more than a few widescreen shots that I have to scroll through even in fullscreen mode).

All things considered, I'd rather scroll down through a traditional, known portrait-mode format than having to be messing with browser sizes that I may or may not still have to scroll through.
OctaviaMoon
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

Artist & Colorist

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:40:26 am »

It's interesting that this has come up...PK and I have discussed it a few times - in terms of why some comics are Landscaped and others aren't. One of the things to consider is that comic art is more than just drawing pretty pictures in panels...it's also the artists' job to direct the ebb and flow and pacing of the story, via the visual medium and the use of the panels (sizes, contents etc)...

from here 
http://www.paperwingspodcast.com/2012/06/comic-balloons-comic-layout/

You read a comic like you read a book...and the page/panel layout should be something the leads your eye (and your mind) in the direction of that left to right and down story telling. As a reader you don't always 'see' all of that but your mind is likely to take it all in. Tall thin panels in a row will give you the impression of time passing quickly and a long, short (horizontally oriented) panel will give the impression of time passing slowing...it gives the story a completely different pace - not saying it's not warranted for some comics but it does have to be considered...

It may also be the biggest consideration that, if you produce a webcomic, you might always be in the hopes that you can one day produce a printed version and making it landscaped might preclude that ever happening Smiley

Octavia Moon - Writer, Artist, Letterer - In Season, Unleashed, Tannhauser Twins, Friend Zone.
Colorist/Letterer - Saint James Infirmary, Domina, Rapid Inductions

Find me on www.patreon.com/octaviamoon
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:31 am »

I'll say that I tend to find it more natural to write a portrait comic than a landscape one. That might be just due to more familiarity with things laid out in portrait format.

The distinction on the site between portrait and landscape titles is sort of lost in the mists of time. As you can see in the format change we just put HK through, we're moving towards portrait for all of our titles, even the ones that are currently landscape.

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
Geo
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:53:37 am »

Squares and rectangles are easy. Hexagons you can kind of work with, but have you ever tried to line up stars? This is why you never want to illustrate 2001: A Space Odyssey. Oh my god. It's full of stars.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: