Mind Control Comics Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:36:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint James Infirmary 325: The Compass  (Read 10574 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: August 31, 2014, 09:15:48 am »

Tuesday, September 2nd!

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:30:45 pm »

Please let this be Erin finding a beautiful sexy way to bring Pearl to the truth, not The Cherry Bomb and her pal up to fresh devilry as they get lost on their way back to New York.  *clasps hands prayerfully*
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:17:54 am »

Presumably that's the Pink stuff rather than the antidote (or "antidote"). That's a pretty freaky reaction from Miriam - although it's nice to see those two necklaces finally being introduced to each other. I love the last panel.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:49:18 pm »

I think it's the antidote; Erin specifically sent for it from the Infirmary.

I wonder what Erin hopes to accomplish here.  If it was just undoing any Pink Clouds programming to which Miriam had been subjected then the ritual nudity wouldn't make sense, nor the stated need to avoid the Infirmary.  The switch to the record store was triggered when Erin learned that Miriam might have been exposed to the Watch, so it's likely she's trying to do something about that.

If Erin thinks she can undo Watch programming that has major implications.  I think it's more likely this is a fishing expedition to learn whether and how Miriam has been programmed.

Nasty possibility: if Erin's spell lets her see through Miriam's eyes and hear through her ears during the programming, might that lead to the programming affecting Erin too?  She might be about to accidentally enslave herself to Jakob Kuppler while trying to rescue one of his thralls.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »

It's yet to be determined if the "antidote" is actually an antidote.  Yes, thrall-by-proxy is a disturbing hint of a possibility, but I'm hoping our fearless author isn't that cruel to us or her characters.

ETA--are there multiple stages to this and Jacqui's in a later stage, but not this one?  It's not entirely clear why Erin dragged Jacqui away a couple episodes ago (other than it was both funny and sexy).  The plan isn't discernible yet.
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17:03 pm »

Obviously it may be neither Pink Clouds nor the antidote.

I think we only know that Erin sent RĂ©ka to get some stuff from Laura. But someone - and Laura's a likely candidate - has the sample of Pink Clouds retrieved from Alex and Katie. The antidote appears to be colourless; Pink clouds has generally looked pink (in the context of those pages where it has appeared). We don't know what colour the swab that Dani's using here would be were it untreated. Maybe it was a pinkish-purple to begin with. But maybe not.

We still don't know that the antidote has anything other than an aphrodisiac effect on women. We're yet to see any evidence that it worked on Kanti - and if it doesn't work then Amy is still acting under the influence of any suggestions she was given under Pink Clouds (and possibly the ring). And those might have included pretending that the antidote works.

If it is the antidote, the usual initial response is to remark upon the smell. Miriam seems to have skipped straight to horny. Though I admit that doesn't appear to be the usual response to Pink Clouds itself either. I have wondered if Miriam is in fact a very free and easy sex slave who has been given a reboot that has rendered her quite the opposite.

I had a similar thought that this could be a trap but I was thinking more along the lines of Miriam's mind overwhelming Erin's. I like mns_95125's idea (as an idea; not as a way forward). And if Cherry is to be believed then we know Jakob is after Erin.

Erin was using Adrian and Jacqui to help her recharge her magical battery. I think. She isn't using Jacqui as her "feminine anchor" for this show because Jacqui is Miriam's mother (323). Though I have to say, if the anchors are for Erin's protection then using Dani - another one of Jakob's old slaves - seems a bit reckless.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:45 pm »

I think the first panel of 285 strongly implies that the antidote does something other than be an aphrodisiac.  After inhaling it Amy is certainly reassessing her 'relationship' with Vik.  Granted that Kanti doesn't seem to have responded in the same way, though.

Let's look at things from Erin's perspective.  In 316 she learns that Miriam's memory has been tampered with, and immediately starts to take her to an unnamed location.  At that point she knows that there is a link between Miriam, Q and Pink Clouds, but does not know of any connection between Miriam and the Watch.  So it is likely that wherever she is taking Miriam, her intention is to try to free her from Pink Clouds programming, and she only knows of one way to do that: Laura's antidote.

In 319 she learns that Miriam also has a connection to the Watch, and she immediately changes their destination to the record store.  This tells us two things.  First, the change in destination is caused by her learning about the possibility that Miriam has been subjected to Watch programming.  Second, wherever they were headed before was not acceptable for whatever Erin now plans to do in the face of this new knowledge.

In 322 we learn that one reason for going to the record store is so that Erin can charge up her magic batteries by having a threesome with Adrian and Jacqui.  We can reasonably infer that whatever she was planning to do before learning of the Miriam-Watch connection either didn't involve her magic or wasn't going to be as draining as what she is planning now.  We also learn that Erin doesn't know who has been messing with Miriam's memory -- it could be Pink Clouds programming or Watch programming, or both.

In 323 we learn that Erin sent Reka to get "the stuff" from Laura.  (She must have sent Reka off-screen between 322 and 323, since we see her in the last panel of 322 feeling Miriam up.)  Given that Pink Clouds programming is still on the table, the most logical candidate for "the stuff" that Laura had is the antidote.  It's possible that Erin was originally just heading to Laura's apartment and not the Infirmary.

(I have to say that I just love the second-to-last panel of 324, with Dani staring at Miriam.  Something about the look on Dani's face, coupled with the lack of dialog, just cracks me up every time I look at it.)

324 and 325 make it clear that whatever Erin has in mind goes beyond just exposing Miriam to "the stuff", which is all she'd have to do if she was trying to undo Pink Clouds programming.  This strongly implies that the magic element of her plan is aimed at the Watch programming.

In sum, I think there's a lot of evidence to support the idea that Erin thinks Miriam has been subjected to Pink Clouds and/or Watch programming and she's trying to untangle the mess, using Laura's antidote for the Pink Clouds part and her own magic powers for the Watch part.  There's very little evidence to the contrary, certainly from a character/motivation standpoint.

(Also, for Amy to have been programmed to pretend the antidote works, her programmer (Vik) would have to have known about the antidote, and I don't think he had any way to learn about it while Amy was in his control.)
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:17:29 pm »

(I have to say that I just love the second-to-last panel of 324, with Dani staring at Miriam.  Something about the look on Dani's face, coupled with the lack of dialog, just cracks me up every time I look at it.)
I really liked that one too. Actually Dani's expression in the previous panel is even better - it reminds me of Jacqui's in the SJI Scooby Doo page, which was absolutely perfect. As much as anything it's Miriam's refusal to be impressed that makes it funny for me.

I agree that it appears to be more logical for it to be the antidote, and indeed the only reason I mentioned it in the first place was because I would have expected it to be the antidote. What gave me the opposite impression were the following: (1) the swab here is pink, while the antidote is colourless; (2) Miriam's initial response is more like Caitlyn's vacant expression in 241 than either Amy or Hayley's "Jesus that smells like shit warmed up" reaction to the antidote; (3) the time between panels is always open to question but Miriam appears to go straight to horny immediately and without comment (that doesn't match Pink Clouds but it doesn't seem to match the antidote either - and there's something slightly unnerving about that sex-doll-with-tongue-out reaction); (4) Amy got the revelation before she got horny - Pink Clouds was used on Pearl but there's no revelation for Miriam here. And the greatest of these was (1), which I thought might be a mistake, but confirmation came there none.

I won't go through the whole thing again but in brief: Q gets out of jail; Q hooks up with Kanti before Jacqui's even aware he's back in town; Kanti's brother almost immediately hits on Pink Clouds by accident; Q gets a sample of it via Kanti and identifies what it is; he uses it on Kanti; he sends a message back to Vik via Kanti but we don't see how she delivers the news. This is obviously all just a massive coincidence destiny at work. But there's always the possibility that it isn't.

To this point we've seen the antidote work on one person. There's a reason why we haven't been shown Kanti revealing that she knows Q used Pink Clouds on her. It may be a deliberate misdirection, with it perhaps being revealed later that Kanti realized but didn't let on for reasons of her own. It may be because the antidote doesn't work. Or it may be because Q did something to Kanti to prevent it working on her. At this stage I see no reason to favour any particular one of these because of the coincidences above and because...

When an unexpected delivery turned up on Saturday night Alex said, "What'cha got for me?" rather than, say, "Who are you?" (196). She summed up the encounter afterwards: "Weirdos" (199). Maybe she meant Princess Pink generally; maybe she meant there was more than one person in the van. Possibly Princess Pink employs suitably susceptible female drivers (maybe the Pink Princesses from 82) but the van was obtained using Q's alarm code. And Vik had virtually no time to go mad and then devise and execute the Saturday night plan if he didn't know about the Pink Clouds until Friday night.

I don't know if it means what it might mean but panel four of 289: Amy and Hayley looking kind of like the Pink Princesses, with the Princess Pink lady prominent on a couple of boxes in the background. Owing to a lack of clothing, Amy has to return to the SJI wearing a Pink Princess t-shirt, and so attired she delivers the ring to Dani just as Mallory arrives to inform everyone that Jakob Kuppler is alive. Why did Vik just happen to have a ring that appears to have come from the same source as the watch? Julian, who appears to be working for a Kuppler, nipped to Vik's to help Adrian rescue Amy just before he headed back to the SJI to pick up Cherry, who left early. Well, maybe he just happened to be passing?

Erin's reaction at the end here looks more like alarm than surprise. If it's alarm then either she has divined something about Miriam's past, or something here is not as she expected.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 05:20:22 pm »

Erin's reaction at the end here looks more like alarm than surprise.

I want to call out for a moment what high praise this is for PK's art... he's able to distinguish alarm and surprise in just someone's eye.

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
mns_95125
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:07 pm »

(2) Miriam's initial response is more like Caitlyn's vacant expression in 241 than either Amy or Hayley's "Jesus that smells like shit warmed up" reaction to the antidote.

I'm not sure I agree.  Amy (284) has an "ohmygod" reaction, followed in 285 with what looks like her Pink Clouds programming breaking down.  It's later in 285 that the aphrodisiac effect kicks in.  Neither Kanti nor Laura comments on the odor.

There's a reason why we haven't been shown Kanti revealing that she knows Q used Pink Clouds on her. It may be a deliberate misdirection, with it perhaps being revealed later that Kanti realized but didn't let on for reasons of her own. It may be because the antidote doesn't work. Or it may be because Q did something to Kanti to prevent it working on her.

It occurs to me that Kanti's "Ok, so, we should talk about this" to Q in 294 could be her response to the antidote.  She knows that Q used Pink Clouds on her, but perhaps she isn't that pissed off by what he did.  So Q gets a 'we need to talk' instead of a bitch-slap.
Haight
Browser
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:40 pm »

I still don't understand why Kanti wasn't incensed over the whole affair. What is up with that?

"And I want to reach in to the fire of your heart/I want to program all those beats right from the start"
Salanar
Browser
Three Star Sneetch

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 12:44:16 am »

Perhaps she enjoyed the role play aspect. Whether people want to admit it or not, they DO like to let go. Think of it in terms of "it's so much easier to let someone else make the decisions." Turns out, this applies to lovemaking as well, but to lesser extent. And, in all honesty, its hit or miss on the control thing with people in general. The waters are muddied here with layers of mind control. Its impossible to really separate Pink clouds from The Watch from their own personality.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Erin just got a vision of Miriam's past. Or, Miriam has somehow turned the tables on Erin. Hot, but creepy possibility.
GodWilling
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 03:25:09 pm »

I'm not sure I agree.  Amy (284) has an "ohmygod" reaction, followed in 285 with what looks like her Pink Clouds programming breaking down.  It's later in 285 that the aphrodisiac effect kicks in.  Neither Kanti nor Laura comments on the odor.

Amy comments on the smell. Her "ohmygod" reaction doesn't look sexual and appears to be the revelation. Then she slowly realizes she's horny.

Hayley comments on the smell. As far as we know she has no revelation to experience. She realizes she's horny more quickly, possibly because she's already seen that that happens.

Kanti and Laura already know it's going to smell and that it's going to make them horny.

Possibly Kanti's failure to remark upon the smell is due to her familiarity with it - it appears to smell similar to Pink Clouds. Perhaps that's why Miriam doesn't remark on it too. From what we see, Laura is more of a passive inhaler of the stuff.

Like I said, the timing between panels is always open to question. Miriam's "Oh" panel could be a revelation. But I'd have thought she'd have something to say about it if it is. If she has no revelation to come to (and arguably she ought to have) then it would seem the use of the antidote is pointless here. And personally I'd have bought that Erin could work her magic without it because, you know, it's magic isn't it? (I have this notion that Miriam is the anti-Adrian. Perhaps Pink Clouds is the antidote for her?)

It occurs to me that Kanti's "Ok, so, we should talk about this" to Q in 294 could be her response to the antidote.  She knows that Q used Pink Clouds on her, but perhaps she isn't that pissed off by what he did.  So Q gets a 'we need to talk' instead of a bitch-slap.

I can buy that, although we've twice seen her seek reassurance that Q hadn't used it on her, and indeed she gave that as her reason for taking the antidote. But there is a suggestion that that is merely a pretext for trying an aphrodisiac. We don't know the state of their relationship prior to Q using Pink Clouds on her but it appeared that she would have considered it a bad thing if Adrian had been using it on Laura. Indeed the whole point of the antidote is to provide protection against its use.

As with most things the context of the "we should talk about this" remark is ambiguous. For all we know Q just suggested they should get married. Or perhaps they were just discussing Q's past involvement with Pink Clouds. Or his ability to whisk up apparently safe aphrodisiacs that could provide a very healthy income. Or how it frightens her that she likes them so much. Or perhaps they were discussing where their plan for Kanti to get into the SJI and find Adrian's stash of Pink Clouds stands now. Or perhaps he just admitted that he knows how Vik came up with #49 in the first place and he's sorry about how all that got a little out of hand, what with her brother having just used it to abduct a woman and all, but, yeah, let's have drug-fuelled sex first and then we'll go and have stern words with him. Or it could be something else entirely.

Perhaps she enjoyed the role play aspect.

I think that - or something like that - is what's being hinted at. But the key thing is that if the antidote isn't actually an antidote, then she's still under the influence of Pink Clouds here.

I should say I don't have this as some rigid theory that I'm clinging to - I'm playing devil's advocate to some extent. But there are a lot of coincidences in this sudden reappearance of Pink Clouds. It would make more sense if there had been a degree of collusion between Q and Vik. And we already know that both are liars. And something's going on in Erin's head right now - and there's just an outside chance that it could be something to do with this. Although if I'm honest, I doubt it.

I want to call out for a moment what high praise this is for PK's art... he's able to distinguish alarm and surprise in just someone's eye.

And I'll endorse that by reiterating that I love the last panel.
jmundt29
Subscriber
Five Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:36:59 am »

Two things.

First, you have to remember that Kanti and Q-ball were already...um, "dating" when she unleashed Pink Clouds on herself.  Chances were pretty good they'd have ended up in bed together that night without assistance.  So, perhaps Kanti isn't all that upset because most of the things she was made to do, she would have done anyway with a little foreplay.

Second, the art is spectacular and raises all sorts of interesting and terrifying possibilities.  However, I think the title is meant to be instructive in Erin's last reaction.  She's expecting to perform the ritual and get a sense of where the manipulation has taken place, a roadmap into Pearl's heart and mind, or, at minimum, a compass for her true north.  Perhaps, Pearl's compass is completely compromised and Erin will have to work in the dark.  *shrugs* Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: