Mind Control Comics Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:03:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or see the News and Announcement section on how to register.

Login with username, password and session length
New to this forum? Please be sure to check out the introduction for very important information.
Click here to return to the main comic site.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Download issues?  (Read 61601 times)
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« on: February 15, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »

Any issues with any of the downloads, feel free to mention them here.

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
stormrazor2000
Subscriber
Three Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:27 pm »

Downstairs and Signal Failure give 404s
T5Medici
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

As do lost_colony 5, lost_colony 4, extreme_makeover, convent_nicholas 1 and obedience.
T5Medici
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:08:03 pm »

The title page for Hidden Knowledge 4 is at the end instead of the beginning.  Shocked
mm257
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »

It seems all the digital comics downloads(lost colony, cuckoos nest, etc) are distorted. They seem out of focus, the faces are especially bad in some of them.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:39:32 am »

It seems all the digital comics downloads(lost colony, cuckoos nest, etc) are distorted. They seem out of focus, the faces are especially bad in some of them.

Hm, I don't see that at all. What are you using to view them?

DO NOT SEND ME PMs. JUST DON'T. ALWAYS SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS OR REQUESTS TO: orders@mindcontroltheatre.com. Thank you.
rreader3
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

random reader

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:42:02 am »

Yeah, although the images in the pdfs for, say, Cuckoo's Nest, are the same resolution as the online ones, they're not pixel-identical - looks like additional jpeg artifacts, as though they'd been recompressed.

The ones I've looked at don't seem too bad, but I may have just seen the better ones or something.

The hand-drawn comics I've checked so far have images at a much higher resolution than the online ones, but they look like they've been blown up to that size from something smaller (maybe a bit more than half the size), rather than the large image being the original size. This seems a bit odd unless the idea is to print them out at 600dpi.

So how much of this is intentional and how much isn't?
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:11:33 am »

OK, we've pulled the downloads. We'll reenable them at some point in the future when we can get an automated way of generating them where the quality is acceptable.

Note that we could send through the originals at full resolution, but that would result in PDFs for some titles that are 500MB or more; that's obviously not going to fly.

T5Medici
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:37:06 am »

I don't think you should have pulled them. Most of the PDF's looked fine. The possible exceptions are the ones that had very small originals to begin with. To me, that means the process is working fine.

It will really depend on future updates. After all, if you are asking your artists for larger originals, the process will be fine long term.

The more important thing to me is when there was a very large original, your PDF produced is a reasonable size and is stunning in its detail. There are lots of things I never noticed before in some of those frames. It's a shame to keep those from someone who didn't have a change to pull them down.

BTW: I notice that some of the one line versions are a little bigger too. Much easier to see those now. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:41:11 am by T5Medici » Logged
mm257
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

Comics Fan

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:33:00 am »

Hm, I don't see that at all. What are you using to view them?

I was using an apple previewing program, most of them were fine, lost colony 9 was the one with the worst resolution of the ones i downloaded.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:55 am »

No worries, they'll be back soon; we're still experimenting with different ways of generating the PDFs. The current one did recompress everything; it worked OK when the original source was very high-resolution, but not so great on things (like the various Poser comics) which were already compressed to near-screen resolution.

rreader3
Browser
Two Star Sneetch

random reader

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »

FWIW, I've used Luigi Rizzo's jpg2pdf utility (which is about the simplest possible jpeg to pdf converter) without problems. I tested it on some of your images (extracted from the pdfs) and it worked fine.

There's no actual need to recompress the images, since PDF allows JPEG format images to be embedded at any resolution with any required scaling done in the display code. Having to rescale a very large image can make display a bit slow, though.
Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:36 pm »

Given that the new downloads have already appeared on file-sharing sites, we're evaluating how much work it's really worth to put into this feature. :/

blinded
Subscriber
Two Star Sneetch

aMember user

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:08 pm »

While I'm sorry to hear the downloads might not be back, I'm disappointed to hear that they have appeared on file sharing sites.  If that is the case, I understand completely if you don't bring them back.

Daphne
Publisher
Five Star Sneetch

Drawn and Quartered.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »

Oh, we'll bring them back; it's just annoying, but there's no point in punishing the honest for the acts of the guilty. (But to whoever posted them, shame, shame!)

jpg2pdf looks fun, but it only works on fixed paper sizes, which isn't quite what we need. Next up, reportlab!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: